Believe it or not, there’s still one common complaint against the pokemon Trubbish that I’ve still never formally addressed: the complaint of biological believability.
I see many Pokemon fans say they just can’t buy Trubbish or Garbodor as living creatures, even as easily as Muk or Weezing. The latter two are also man-made pollution brought to life, but their designs, apparently, are still “animal-like” enough to be acceptable.
To those fans, I present the Xenophyophora, real organisms found in the deepest abyssal depths of the ocean:
A Xenophyophore looks, at first glance, like nothing but a clump of mud, sand, scraps of dead matter, even a big old hunk of feces.
That’s because it is.
The visible part of the organism is a protective casing, or “test,” built from nothing but its own waste and whatever inedible detritus it may collect from the surrounding seabed. It is literally made up mostly of garbage. Every species builds a test differently, some that look like an oozing pile of dog mess, others that look a lot like beautiful, branching corals.
The living portion of a Xenophyophore, its “true form” if you will, looks like nothing but thin, nearly invisible strands of protoplasm winding through its garbage mass like the roots of a fungus, though it’s not a fungus, a plant or even an animal - it’s a protozoan, the worlds largest amoeba. They’re too delicate to collect intact, but this photo shows one of their microscopic cousins, a foraminiferan, which make up a lot of sea’s plankton.
Genetic analysis confirms that Xenophyophores are scaled-up foraminiferans, lying on the sea floor and reaching their slimy threads into the surrounding sludge to collect any edible matter they can find - and more trash to build up their outer body!
- flumpytripod likes this
- deliriumtrigger33 likes this
- dustman121 reblogged this from bettycrockergirl
- bettycrockergirl reblogged this from desertmedicines
- acid-dipped-daisies reblogged this from ghast-renave
- ghast-renave reblogged this from all-natural-harmonia
- cherabby likes this
- all-natural-harmonia reblogged this from desertmedicines
- desertmedicines reblogged this from bogleech
- xiovii likes this
- sister-of-no-mercy reblogged this from jolly-santa-sounds-dot-zip
- theazuredolphin reblogged this from sparkylurkdragon
- darkwizardjamesmason likes this
- sparkylurkdragon reblogged this from bogleech
- ddarebionic likes this
- carnictis reblogged this from fantasticfakemon and added:
- iownzanabazarjunior likes this
- serotonesque reblogged this from airyairy
- schafpudel reblogged this from bogleech
- schafpudel likes this
- manwithacloak reblogged this from purified-zone
- purified-zone reblogged this from bogleech
- purified-zone likes this
- saddestsad reblogged this from king-worm
- saddestsad likes this
- king-worm reblogged this from bogleech
- bogleech likes this
- airyairy reblogged this from bogleech and added:
- airyairy likes this
- angrytransblogger likes this
- mercurialarchivist reblogged this from bogleech
- fearless-who-makes-plushies likes this
- morningemu reblogged this from bogleech
- beardykraken reblogged this from bogleech
- beardykraken likes this
- withnails likes this
- wandaxmaximoff likes this
- korinkuu likes this
- bubonickitten likes this
- blashfullady likes this
- antiquenette reblogged this from bogleech
- super-wooper likes this
- jroxasxiii reblogged this from bogleech
- jroxasxiii likes this
- pkmn-trainer-ramone likes this
- mistletoe-missile likes this
- gabnats likes this
- blupyro likes this
- darkreed likes this
- thenerdycrockett likes this