Believe it or not, there’s still one common complaint against the pokemon Trubbish that I’ve still never formally addressed: the complaint of biological believability.
I see many Pokemon fans say they just can’t buy Trubbish or Garbodor as living creatures, even as easily as Muk or Weezing. The latter two are also man-made pollution brought to life, but their designs, apparently, are still “animal-like” enough to be acceptable.
To those fans, I present the Xenophyophora, real organisms found in the deepest abyssal depths of the ocean:
A Xenophyophore looks, at first glance, like nothing but a clump of mud, sand, scraps of dead matter, even a big old hunk of feces.
That’s because it is.
The visible part of the organism is a protective casing, or “test,” built from nothing but its own waste and whatever inedible detritus it may collect from the surrounding seabed. It is literally made up mostly of garbage. Every species builds a test differently, some that look like an oozing pile of dog mess, others that look a lot like beautiful, branching corals.
The living portion of a Xenophyophore, its “true form” if you will, looks like nothing but thin, nearly invisible strands of protoplasm winding through its garbage mass like the roots of a fungus, though it’s not a fungus, a plant or even an animal - it’s a protozoan, the worlds largest amoeba. They’re too delicate to collect intact, but this photo shows one of their microscopic cousins, a foraminiferan, which make up a lot of sea’s plankton.
Genetic analysis confirms that Xenophyophores are scaled-up foraminiferans, lying on the sea floor and reaching their slimy threads into the surrounding sludge to collect any edible matter they can find - and more trash to build up their outer body!
- algedonictragedy likes this
- thankyouten reblogged this from phantomofthebookstore
- thankyouten likes this
- teknollama likes this
- bookworm89 likes this
- secretly-a-tonberry reblogged this from theothergeekette
- secretly-a-tonberry likes this
- theothergeekette reblogged this from phantomofthebookstore
- theothergeekette likes this
- phantomofthebookstore reblogged this from bogleech
- phantomofthebookstore likes this
- moosedere reblogged this from bogleech
- moosedere likes this
- abbovebiggerbob likes this
- officiallasermanexe likes this
- mrgains reblogged this from bogleech and added:
- flopper289 reblogged this from bogleech
- flopper289 likes this
- brillohead reblogged this from bogleech
- queen-of-pokemon likes this
- molluscainthehouse likes this
- thethreehares likes this
- cronuts likes this
- blindbeards0llux likes this
- freakysteve reblogged this from bogleech
- dhaabi reblogged this from bogleech
- trxshmaster likes this
- imadethisurlaslongasicould reblogged this from knight-artorias
- dekobee likes this
- mistresshazard reblogged this from bogleech
- mistresshazard likes this
- familyfresh likes this
- sugarcoatedsleepdeprivation reblogged this from popsolrocks
- mainingfizzanddiana reblogged this from cynicalsatyr
- kinokofairy likes this
- titleknown reblogged this from bogleech
- zhifred reblogged this from popsolrocks
- zhifred likes this
- fdoubleflatmajor reblogged this from tsubasaneko
- sacajaweeaboo likes this
- popsolrocks reblogged this from cynicalsatyr
- shadoomhedgehog reblogged this from tsubasaneko
- ara-nea reblogged this from solluxinthe-tardis
- ara-nea likes this
- solluxinthe-tardis reblogged this from tsubasaneko
- solluxinthe-tardis likes this
- cynicalsatyr reblogged this from tsubasaneko
- tsubasaneko reblogged this from bogleech