Believe it or not, there’s still one common complaint against the pokemon Trubbish that I’ve still never formally addressed: the complaint of biological believability.
I see many Pokemon fans say they just can’t buy Trubbish or Garbodor as living creatures, even as easily as Muk or Weezing. The latter two are also man-made pollution brought to life, but their designs, apparently, are still “animal-like” enough to be acceptable.
To those fans, I present the Xenophyophora, real organisms found in the deepest abyssal depths of the ocean:
A Xenophyophore looks, at first glance, like nothing but a clump of mud, sand, scraps of dead matter, even a big old hunk of feces.
That’s because it is.
The visible part of the organism is a protective casing, or “test,” built from nothing but its own waste and whatever inedible detritus it may collect from the surrounding seabed. It is literally made up mostly of garbage. Every species builds a test differently, some that look like an oozing pile of dog mess, others that look a lot like beautiful, branching corals.
The living portion of a Xenophyophore, its “true form” if you will, looks like nothing but thin, nearly invisible strands of protoplasm winding through its garbage mass like the roots of a fungus, though it’s not a fungus, a plant or even an animal - it’s a protozoan, the worlds largest amoeba. They’re too delicate to collect intact, but this photo shows one of their microscopic cousins, a foraminiferan, which make up a lot of sea’s plankton.
Genetic analysis confirms that Xenophyophores are scaled-up foraminiferans, lying on the sea floor and reaching their slimy threads into the surrounding sludge to collect any edible matter they can find - and more trash to build up their outer body!
- angrytransblogger likes this
- mercurialarchivist reblogged this from bogleech
- fearless-who-makes-plushies likes this
- morningemu reblogged this from bogleech
- beardykraken reblogged this from bogleech
- beardykraken likes this
- withnails likes this
- wandaxmaximoff likes this
- korinkuu likes this
- bubonickitten likes this
- verde003 reblogged this from bewareofonions
- verde003 likes this
- antiquenette reblogged this from bogleech
- super-wooper likes this
- jroxasxiii reblogged this from bogleech
- jroxasxiii likes this
- bewareofonions reblogged this from bogleech
- bewareofonions likes this
- dirge-of-the-wolfman likes this
- efsie likes this
- gabnats likes this
- blupyro likes this
- seandarkreed likes this
- thenerdycrockett likes this
- limestu likes this
- kastiakbc likes this
- panicinthegarden reblogged this from bogleech
- why-you-gatta-be-like-that reblogged this from bogleech
- yetigoat reblogged this from fennekennedy
- gengasdf reblogged this from fennekennedy
- artsyalraune likes this
- fennekennedy reblogged this from bogleech
- binarybastet likes this
- disciple-of-dante reblogged this from bogleech
- anniemae04 reblogged this from lleveret
- doubledeth likes this
- johnofthemolemen reblogged this from bogleech
- johnofthemolemen likes this
- thatjubi likes this
- steamarcana likes this
- timelesschronicler reblogged this from bogleech
- timelesschronicler likes this
- zzzzeppelin likes this
- machine-god likes this
- scottish-gateau likes this
- twerkyvulture reblogged this from bogleech
- notcharizard likes this
- airforcefun likes this
- ig-niv likes this