I can completely respect people who love animals enough that they try their best to reduce even their most tenuous impact on their welfare. I don’t go that far, but I can admire it.
…Except I never see half these assholes talk about insects, arachnids or other arthropoda. Do keep in mind that I said “half” here. You don’t need to inform me that you’re an exception when I’m clearly aware that exceptions exist.
Arthropods make up 90% of all species on our planet. We would die horribly without them. Only the most miniscule fraction are ever of any inconvenience or threat to us. They have brains like yours, pumping hearts, the same five basic senses (at least) the same two sexes and their behavior is as intricate as any bird or mammal.
For every chicken and pig that gets slaughtered and eaten, literally tens of millions of arthropods are smashed, ground up or poisoned, sometimes with deliberate malice just for existing and looking different. Every bite of EVERY food you have ever eaten, vegan or not, was grown and harvested at the cost of several thousand invertebrates.
All produce, including “organic” produce, makes use of pesticides. All of it. No, all of it. There is no such thing as any farm, anywhere, that grows food for mass consumption without poisoning every little creature who takes a bite. When they say they’re pesticide or chemical free, it means they use biological control; they spray their crop with a virus that slowly melts caterpillars alive, or sprinkle them with millions of tissue-eating nematode worms. More “natural,” sure, but the results are the same. Thousands and thousands of animals die gruesomely for our tomatoes and cucumbers and beans. Always.
I guess they don’t count if their brains are slightly smaller than the smallest animals with “bones”, huh.
Good for you if you don’t eat cows, they are certainly raised in some shit conditions and environmentally unsustainable to boot - but at least acknowledge that you’re playing favorites with your compassion.
- alchemisthands likes this
- court94xx reblogged this from bogleech and added:
- elegyonmars likes this
- uagranger reblogged this from bogleech
- ghostaviator reblogged this from ewww-gross-this-damn-blog and added:
- ewww-gross-this-damn-blog reblogged this from bogleech
- pseudobaby likes this
- guiltyweek reblogged this from girinma
- girinma reblogged this from megthemaggot
- thebionicduck reblogged this from ruenis
- doubledeth likes this
- kishinillusion likes this
- wolfnanaki likes this
- the-ink-pad reblogged this from the-little-two-mouthed-girl and added:
- razamaboo likes this
- the-hipsters-cat likes this
- saisai-chan reblogged this from the-little-two-mouthed-girl
- saisai-chan likes this
- lizzorasaurus likes this
- scarioth reblogged this from bogleech
- echoheartx reblogged this from the-little-two-mouthed-girl
- chop-stuff likes this
- mechy-z likes this
- sillfillyswip reblogged this from hollow-requiem
- the-little-two-mouthed-girl reblogged this from bogleech
- hollow-requiem reblogged this from ruenis
- goldenponcho likes this
- kitty-payne likes this
- spookimp likes this
- endertheman likes this
- sobbingmathematically likes this
- furefuwan reblogged this from bogleech
- ophiuchan reblogged this from bogleech and added:
- spookyfrostdragon reblogged this from roman-sunshine
- microbebrew reblogged this from bogleech and added:
- microbebrew likes this
- offendedbydjinns likes this
- ghostpuncher reblogged this from bogleech and added:
- pajamasquid likes this
- noahpoststhings likes this
- terriblesacrifices likes this
- peridexis likes this
- darklordreasonable likes this
- mintcarousel reblogged this from emperorjex and added:
- veganlee reblogged this from kady-xvx
- emperorjex reblogged this from bogleech
- kurgarra likes this
- professorsparklepants reblogged this from roman-sunshine
- stacked4feethighand6feetwide reblogged this from mothwizard
- osmanthusoolong likes this