I can completely respect people who love animals enough that they try their best to reduce even their most tenuous impact on their welfare. I don’t go that far, but I can admire it.
…Except I never see half these assholes talk about insects, arachnids or other arthropoda. Do keep in mind that I said “half” here. You don’t need to inform me that you’re an exception when I’m clearly aware that exceptions exist.
Arthropods make up 90% of all species on our planet. We would die horribly without them. Only the most miniscule fraction are ever of any inconvenience or threat to us. They have brains like yours, pumping hearts, the same five basic senses (at least) the same two sexes and their behavior is as intricate as any bird or mammal.
For every chicken and pig that gets slaughtered and eaten, literally tens of millions of arthropods are smashed, ground up or poisoned, sometimes with deliberate malice just for existing and looking different. Every bite of EVERY food you have ever eaten, vegan or not, was grown and harvested at the cost of several thousand invertebrates.
All produce, including “organic” produce, makes use of pesticides. All of it. No, all of it. There is no such thing as any farm, anywhere, that grows food for mass consumption without poisoning every little creature who takes a bite. When they say they’re pesticide or chemical free, it means they use biological control; they spray their crop with a virus that slowly melts caterpillars alive, or sprinkle them with millions of tissue-eating nematode worms. More “natural,” sure, but the results are the same. Thousands and thousands of animals die gruesomely for our tomatoes and cucumbers and beans. Always.
I guess they don’t count if their brains are slightly smaller than the smallest animals with “bones”, huh.
Good for you if you don’t eat cows, they are certainly raised in some shit conditions and environmentally unsustainable to boot - but at least acknowledge that you’re playing favorites with your compassion.
- uagranger reblogged this from bogleech
- jingleaviator reblogged this from malaise-senpai and added:
- malaise-senpai reblogged this from bogleech
- pseudobaby likes this
- termitedude11 reblogged this from bogleech
- guiltyweek reblogged this from girinma
- girinma reblogged this from megthemaggot
- thebionicduck reblogged this from ruenis
- doubledeth likes this
- kishinillusion likes this
- wolfnanaki likes this
- corvid-quill reblogged this from the-little-two-mouthed-girl and added:
- razamafoo likes this
- the-hipsters-cat likes this
- saisai-chan reblogged this from the-little-two-mouthed-girl
- saisai-chan likes this
- lizzorasaurus likes this
- burakidiosu reblogged this from bogleech
- echoheartx reblogged this from the-little-two-mouthed-girl
- chop-stuff likes this
- mechy-z likes this
- justasillyfilly reblogged this from trendermanismyspiritanimal
- the-little-two-mouthed-girl reblogged this from bogleech
- trendermanismyspiritanimal reblogged this from ruenis
- goldenponcho reblogged this from thneedprincess
- goldenponcho likes this
- kitty-payne likes this
- headfirstfornightvale reblogged this from thneedprincess
- swaegermcjaeger reblogged this from thneedprincess
- neo-electricity reblogged this from thneedprincess
- hollyjollycaptor likes this
- wimpy-starlight-fangirl likes this
- thneedprincess reblogged this from furefuwan
- sobbingmathematically likes this
- furefuwan reblogged this from bogleech
- polyphemusian reblogged this from bogleech and added:
- cassaclysm reblogged this from scienceandrollerskates
- microbebrew reblogged this from bogleech and added:
- microbebrew likes this
- offendedbydjinns likes this
- ghostpuncher reblogged this from bogleech and added:
- lineolata likes this
- noahpoststhings likes this
- terriblesacrifices likes this
- peridexis likes this
- notagood likes this
- mintcarousel reblogged this from emperorjex and added:
- veganlee reblogged this from lemongrabxvx
- emperorjex reblogged this from bogleech
- kurgarra likes this