Piers Anthony’s “Xanth” novels grew increasingly weird in a sometimes awkward fashion, but I ate them up as a kid, and still love “Castle Roogna” - one of the few cases where a gigantic spider is a good guy in a fantasy adventure. Jumper the jumping spider is, in fact, one of the book’s two main protagonists and such a caring, selfless hero that even the very traditional, prissy damsel in distress comes to love him.
I only just heard there was a newer book about one of his descendants…anybody read it? When I last left Xanth, the underlying themes of pre-teen sexuality were getting a little too much for me.
Edit: most online reviewers, who have even been fans of the series until recently, say the newer book is ruined by the amount of gratuitous sex. I was eleven when I first read Castle Roogna, and it was only *barely* inappropriate for my age at the time. I don’t think I need to read anything newer.
- foxykitvixen likes this
- jensenacklesfricklefrackle likes this
- kcmalice likes this
- koda-the-kobold reblogged this from bogleech and added:
- confessionsofasteelmagnolia likes this
- zenandtheblackpen likes this
- chefasra likes this
- bghfdhghgfd reblogged this from bogleech
- rollrobin likes this
- mister-smalls said:It’s called “Jumper Cable”. Wikipedia says he teams up with seven lovely maidens to fight the Demon of Pluto. I really hope it’s as over-the-top Adventure Time-style goofy as that makes it sound.
- casarobot said:Piers Anthony is a raging pedophile. A friend tried to get me to read his Bio of a Space Tyrant series and after about the fifth female degradation, I got freaked and quit reading. There was a rape scene in chapter one. CHAPTER ONE.
- unendingengines likes this
- bogleech posted this